Sunday, September 9, 2007

Genetically modified foods: Come out, come out wherever you are!

Earlier today, I raided the fridge. This wasn’t just your everyday, need-a-quick-snack raid. No, this was an investigation. Wanted: genetically modified foods.

Last week in my health and fitness writing class, Dr. Lisa House gave a presentation on genetically modified (GM) foods, a subject I knew virtually nothing about. I like to think I’m not alone in my ignorance, so here’s a quick genetically-engineered food run-down. For the science-savvy and super informed, bear with me.

GM foods are foods whose genes have been combined with genes of other plants, animals or bacteria. Case in point: Sweet corn crossed with a gene in bacteria that kills some insects. The result: not so sweet corn if you’re the wormy-looking European Corn Borer that feeds on corn crops.

According to the Human Genome Project Information Web site, GM crops offer many benefits. Not only can some GM crops pulverize pests, but they also tend to taste better, ripen faster and provide more nutritional value than natural foods.

Of course, not everyone trusts these new technologically enhanced foods. Many skeptics bash Frankenfoods as potentially hazardous to health and warn that GM crops could start spreading and intermingling with natural crops.

As for the United States’ position on the issue, our side of the fence is teeming with super-natural fruits and veggies. About 70 % of food in US grocery stores is genetically modified according to The Campaign, a grassroots organization against GM foods. Manufacturers are not required to label these GM products.

Europe, however, is on the other side of the fence completely. Most of Europe rejects GM foods and at the very least, requires that GM products are clearly marked.

As for me, I’m a straddler. I’m torn between the inherent skepticism of the unknown and exhilarating possibility of a no-tears onion genetically engineered so that I can chop it without sobbing.

Hence, my refrigerator raid. I wanted answers. Are GM foods overtaking my fridge, or can I do without them? (Note: if chocolate chips are genetically modified, I’m in)

I started my search with baby carrots, moved to pickles and worked my way up to hummus. Label after label went by with no mention of GM whatsoever. Then I saw the Silk soymilk carton. Gold. My roommates are always cringing at my beloved milk-impostor. If there was anything unnatural in our fridge, the white soybean liquid would be it. I began scanning the fine print on the back of the box with ferocity. Sure enough, my eyes rested on this sentence, “This soymilk is made from soybeans that were not genetically engineered.” Blast! My efforts were futile. Until I get more information on the contents of my fridge, I’ll keep my uncomfortable perch on top of the fence.

No comments: