Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Soccer better than running? Say it isn't so...

I have bad news for runners. We apparently chose the wrong sport. Our tennis shoes and breezy shorts were yesterday’s uniform of fitness. Today, it seems shin guards and cleats are all the rage. At least they should be, according to a recent study.

Danish scientists conducted a study of 37 men and found that a “friendly” soccer game burned off more fat and calories than about an hour-long jog. Over the 12-week period of the study, the percentage body fat for soccer players dropped by 3.7 percent compared to only about 2 percent for joggers.

The AP article about the study also noted that soccer players had more fun and felt less tired after a game. Joggers on the other hand “consistently thought their runs were exhausting.”

So, who’s up for a run? Anyone? I admit that this has not been my most motivating of blogs, but I will share my reactions and possibly a seed of inspiration for those of you who proudly call yourself a runner.

First off, the Danish are downers and clearly not runners (just kidding, mostly). Second, I’m not going to let the results of a mere 37 men deter me from logging my miles. They are not even a multiple of 10 (How hard would it have been to round up three extra guys for a sample size 40?). I run for many reasons, and fitness is certainly a big one. But there’s more to running than staying in shape.

I run because it’s convenient. I don’t need to convince three or more friends to run with me because I am my own team. Out on the road, it is my body verses my mind and that means I always win. I run because it relieves stress in a way that playing soccer or any other sport that combines coordination and competition simply cannot (see my Frantic Frisbee post). I run because I enjoy road races and the camaraderie of other runners. I run for the T-shirts and the free bagels and cookies after races. And contrary to the findings of said study, I run for fun.

No comments: