Saturday, September 22, 2007

Sleeping position and personality could be connected

Are you a sympathetic starfish or perhaps a laid-back log? Maybe a striving soldier?

According to British sleep expert Chris Idzikowski, a person’s sleeping position and personality are correlated. He studied sleeping habits of 1,000 men and women and found the six most common positions, the fetal position, the starfish, the soldier, the log, the free faller and the yearner (My favorite of the six where the sleeper dreams with arms outstretched as if begging for a hug or an oversized teddy-bear. These individuals are said to have an open nature). You can check your sleeping identity by watching a video on the WebMD Web site that illustrates the six different positions and corresponding personality traits.

As for me, my sleeping personality was somewhat difficult isolate. I’m a multi-surface sleeper. In addition to my knack for snoozing through alarms and natural disasters, I have an uncanny ability to sleep anywhere. My roommates can vouge. They’ve found me conked out, face-down and spread eagle on our cement living room floor. They have also caught me napping outdoors while balancing on a bench swing with metal bars digging into my back. What can I say—I have a gift, one that borders narcolepsy and is triggered by textbook reading.

So clearly, deciphering one sleeping personality was difficult. But it was either that or conceding that I have multiple personalities. So in favor of sanity, I settled on being a free-faller. I lay facedown with my arms bent beside my head as if I am skydiver frozen in mid descent, and if you read my last post, you already know that I fall hard. Apparently, this reveals that I’m gregarious, brash, thin-skinned and hypersensitive to criticism. Ouch. Multiple personalities may be the way to go.

No comments: